Ceramic Workshop | Material knowledge
Time & Location
About the Event
This is the perfect workshop for anyone interested in ceramics - earthenware, stoneware and porcelain. The event is part lecture, part workshop. We will discuss the properties of aforementioned materials while we try out and learn about every technique used to form and sculpt clay. You will get 0,5kg of stoneware to work with. As we explore the different sculpting techniques, you might end up creating a ceramic piece you want to fire, to later take home (ca. 3-4 weeks after the workshop).
As we want to encourage discovery in this workshop, the pressure from sculpting something specific is willfully taken away. Yet, having said that, we will support you in creating and finishing your pieces, if it feels right to you.
The focus of this workshop is knowledge, discovery and connection to the material.
We will explore and cover:
- the properties of various ceramic materials
- how ceramics are created and sculpted (Introduction in handbuilding & shaping techniques)
- the full process of creating a ceramic piece (from greenware to finished piece)
- how ceramics unravel the nature of human states and relationships, and what it says about us
After this workshop you will be able to grasp the abilities ceramics offer. The techniques and knowledge in this workshop will help set a secure ground for your imagination to run wild - you will further be able to continue working with clay with the knowledge necessary to progress and feel capable to make anything your heart desires.
This workshop is perfect for beginners, who have little to no experience with ceramics. This workshop can also be a very knowledge-packed workshop for those who would like to refresh their knowledge, relax and explore the various techniques building a more in-depth overview of all the properties ceramics have.
If you are at an intermediate to expert level, we recommend you to explore other classes at Estét Studio Copenhagen.
The workshop has a rigid structure for its' first day(3,5h). In which we:
- Cover the learning material (clay qualities, differences and usage, its stages and its qualities in each stage)
- Explore the different form-building techniques (slab, coil, pinch building + theory in slipcasting, molding and wheel-throwing)
- Try out different texture/sculpting techniques (additive, subtractive, impressing)
- Learn the do's and don'ts of working with clay, so you can avoid common mistakes (cracking, explosion, breaking)
We urge you to not expect to create a fireable piece, so you can freely explore and try out each technique without limitation. After the class you can keep the 0,5kg of clay to work with it in the remaining time at the studio, or at home. We will glaze + fire your finished piece later at our studio (incl. in the price).
Anything is possible, and we have got you covered as we want you to feel confident and free to explore in your own pace.
After the first day this means you might decide to not to fully develop (i.e. trim, glaze & fire) your pieces. In this case we make sure to properly wedge your clay so you can take it with you home, to continue working with it to later bring your homemade creations for further firings and glazing.
You might also decide to keep your creations of the day, in which case we will discuss further trimming and glazing process.
We will finalize the workshop material with the knowledge on:
- How to trim your piece, cover how to work with a leather hard / bone dry piece.
- Bisque firing and glaze firing, learn more about the firing processes
- Choosing your glaze and glazing your pieces
Receiving your piece
Ceramics take time to be fully developed, taking 3-4 weeks from start to finish. Expect to receive your piece/pieces within 4 weeks from the day your workshop started. Be aware of this if you want to give any of your creations to someone as a gift :)
We welcome maximum 4 attendees to our workshops. This is so that we can assist you fully and keep a relaxed and intimate atmosphere. Book your workshop in time to make sure you secure your spot.
- Material Intelligence Workshop650 krVAT included650 krVAT included00 kr